MORSE GROUP ADVISES BEWARE OF TAX SCAMMERS!
Bathurst NSW (August 1, 2017)- Paul Dowd, Tax Counsel at Morse Group Accountants and Advisors, has a warning to the citizens of Bathurst about the potential for "tax scammers" to be active at this time of the year.
Dowd says "at this time of the year, that we tax practitioners refer to as 'tax time', people need to be aware of the security of their personal information". He adds "personal information such as TFNs, bank account number or date of birth can be used by scammers and such information should be treated like a bank PIN and carefully protected".
Dowd quotes from a recent press release from the ATO where an Assistant Commissioner said that more than 1,000 taxpayers reported that their personal information had been compromised in June 2017; up by 20% from May noting that the issue is a real problem at this time of year.
Dowd says "it is critical to understand that the ATO will NOT:
· Be abusive, threatening or offensive to taxpayers;
· Threaten taxpayers with immediate arrest;
· Ask taxpayers to transfer money into an account with a BSB that is not 092009 or 993003 (i.e. the Reserve Bank);
· Request payment via unusual methods such as iTunes gift cards or other prepaid cards;
· Request personal security information such as a TFN or bank details via email or SMS or social media sites;
· Ask taxpayers for money up front in order to receive a refund or other payment;
· Direct taxpayers to download files from the internet".
"Any person who is, in any way suspicious about a contact that seeks to obtain personal information should immediately refer to their tax agent" says Dowd.